Iowa Truck Accident Law firm
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Iowa, you may be suffering from serious injuries. Trucks carry heavy loads and the injuries victims can sustain in these accidents can sometimes be life-altering. Because of the danger of large trucks, drivers and companies can be required to carry high insurance policies, sometimes as high as $1 million to cover the kinds of injuries some victims sustain in truck crashes. If you’ve been hurt, you may not know where to turn. Large truck companies may have teams of lawyers working to protect their bottom lines and their interests. Insurance adjusters should deal fairly under the law, but they can sometimes underestimate the amount of damage you sustained in a crash. A truck accident lawyer in Iowa, like Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. can provide adjusters with the facts about your injuries and damages. Our firm can also fight the companies and all stakeholders involved to help you seek the maximum possible recovery under the law. You may only have a limited amount of time to seek a recovery. Contact Eells & Tronvold: Law Offices, P.L.C. today at 319-393-1020 to learn more about how we may be able to help you.
Why Truck Accidents are Different
Truck accidents differ from regular passenger vehicle accidents because truck drivers and companies are required to abide by a range of federal and local laws. Truck drivers must follow federal hours of service laws limiting how long they can work. Drivers must also pass strict medical tests and hold special licensure to operate a truck. Truck companies have a responsibility to perform regular maintenance on their trucks. They must also hold proper insurance, abide by weight limits, and set reasonable expectations for their employees when it comes to shipping schedules.
Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. are truck accident lawyers who will take the time to carefully investigate your case. Our firm can evaluate the ways in which the truck driver or truck company may be responsible for your wreck. For instance, truck drivers sometimes falsify logs to hide that they have violated federal hours of service laws. However, shipping schedules can reveal when drivers drove longer hours than they are permitted to do so under the law. Our firm can also investigate a driver’s background. Sometimes companies fail to properly screen drivers during the hiring process. These drivers may have prior violations and the companies could be held responsible if drivers were using drugs, or drinking and driving. Our truck accident lawyers can also evaluate the truck’s maintenance history. Sometimes companies cut corners by not properly maintaining their vehicles. This can lead to accidents if a vehicle’s brakes fail or if a tire blows.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you need Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. working on your side. Our firm understands the legal complexities of truck accidents. Truck companies sometimes use their size and financial power to protect their bottom lines when wrecks occur. However, you and your loved ones may be entitled to receive money to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, rehabilitative expenses, and pain and suffering damages after a crash. Call our firm today to learn more.
Causes of Truck Accidents in Iowa
Truck accidents can be caused by a range of factors. Like most accidents, human error is often involved. Truck accidents can occur when:
- A driver is fatigued (due to violation of federal hours of service laws)
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, approximately 13 percent of commercial drivers may have been tired or fatigued when a crash took place. Research indicates that driving while tired can be just as deadly as driving while drunk. While many drivers are hard-working individuals who want to get home safely like the rest of us, sometimes they face immense pressure from their employers to deliver goods on unreasonable schedules. In order to meet these deadlines, they may need to violate the law or falsify logs.
- A driver is drunk or drugged
- Like any other segment of the population, sometimes truck drivers make the unfortunate decision to drink and drive or drive while under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs. Drivers are required to submit to medical tests to ensure that they are safe to drive. Sometimes, however, drivers may operate trucks while taking potentially dangerous prescription drugs.
- A driver breaks the law (speeding, improper lane changing)
- Truck drivers, like any other driver, can break the law with disastrous consequences. However, when a truck driver breaks the law, innocent drivers and riders in passenger vehicles can be hurt.
- Tire or brake failure
- A tire blowout on an 18-wheeler can have serious and deadly consequences. Brake failure can likewise result in serious injuries for anyone who happens to be in the path of a runaway truck.
- Reckless driving
- When truck companies place pressure on drivers to meet unrealistic deadlines, drivers may operate their truck in a reckless manner. Drivers may speed, change lanes suddenly, or they may drive in a manner that could be unsafe for the conditions.
- Lack of training or medical clearance
- Truck companies have a responsibility to train their drivers and ensure that drivers are fit to be operating a truck. When companies fail to properly screen their drivers, they could be responsible for paying for victims’ medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages.
- An overloaded truck may not be able to brake as easily, may be more prone to jackknifing, or may take longer to stop. The law regulates how much weight a truck can carry.
When a truck accident occurs, often many stakeholders may be involved. Truck drivers, truck companies, maintenance companies, and even part manufacturers could be responsible. Victims of truck accidents can sometimes sustain serious injuries and wrack up major medical expenses. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck accident, you need Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. Our truck accident lawyers in Iowa fight to hold all stakeholders accountable. We understand that fighting a large corporation for damages can feel daunting. However, with the support of Eells & Tronvold Law Offices, P.L.C. on your side, you may be able to seek the justice and recovery you may deserve under the law.